Who We AreWhat We DoWhat You Can DoOther Resources & Links



Pringle Creek Watershed Council
Leslie Middle School
3850 Pringle Rd SE
Salem, OR

April 8, 2008
6:30 PM

Welcome & Introductions

Notes from Past Meetings


About Pringle Creek

Council Core Values:

  • Stewardship of the Pringle Creek watershed as a natural entity in an urban environment;
  • Sustaining Pringle and Clark Creeks as naturally occurring watercourses;
  • Preserving Pringle and Clark Creeks’ riparian corridors to support native plants and wildlife;
  • Improving water quality; and
  • Promoting public awareness and education on watershed issues.
Pringle Creek Watershed Council notes:
April 8, 2008, Leslie Middle School

Victor Dodier John Savage
Ed Emrick Steve Soltesz
Joan Grindeland Marilyn Walster
Mary Liepins
Marcia Kelley

Excused: Luca DeStefanis, Susan Kephart, James Santana and Michelle Delepine

Meeting called to order at 6:30 PM.

John moved adoption of the March meeting minutes as updated and distributed by Michelle by email. Passed

Discussion of adoption of John Moriarty draft report
Early discussion centered on engagement of other watershed councils. There has been work on both the technical / government level as well as the volunteer level.

For Claggett Creek, Elizabeth Sagmiller with Keizer will be meeting with Beth Daniel for an assessment. In addition, Keizer City Council Members have been contacted and one is willing to help with recruitment of some new people. At least two people have expressed interest.

We noted that we have achieved progress on SWOT analysis, board composition and officers. Revised bylaws are in progress we have started on companion policies. Training with John Moriarty was completed.

Consultant discussion centered on developing the scope of services. Marcia, at John Moriartys urging contacted Marilyn Walster for a sample contract as a basis for a both contract and scope of service.

There was a discussion regarding how soon we should try to have a permanent coordinator on board.

Mary Liepins pointed out that consultant needs to help us get to point of decision about being a larger group (including those people committing to engagement ) and developing that structure before we can consider a permanent coordinator. A discussion of a fiscal agent centered around re-formalizing the agreement with Marion Soil and Conservation District. They are the fiscal agent on the grant application and the formal process was in place prior to doing the grant application. Victor and Mary will meet with the MSWCD in the next week to ascertain that process.

Mary and Marcia will meet in the next 10 days to develop fiscal policies using other watershed council policies as they apply.

We modified part of the work plan which John Moriarty developed based on the training. Ed Emrick suggested the following text be inserted between item 2 and item 3 with the current item 3 becoming item 4 under "Council plans strategically"

3. Based on the outcome of exploration watershed council(s) determines course of action.

We took action on the following items prior to loosing a quorum with John Savages need to leave early. Consultant contract : Ed moved and it was seconded by Steve S that we contract with Marilyn for professionals services. Passed unanimously.

John Savage moved to accept provisional training session report and criteria, objectives and action as modified. Seconded by Joan Grindeland. Passed. Victor will make changes to Johns report and submit to John Moriarty.

Question of who will develop the contract with Marilyn. It was decided that Ed Emrick and Mary Liepins will work with Marilyn and share results with Victor. The contract can be voted upon prior to Marilyns availability in mid May.

Joan Grindeland who works for the SK School district w ill investigate science teachers and others who might be interested in participation in council events.

Council Updates
Victor has set up a Google Group for PCWC. You need to reply to it. If you have not you can check your junk mail to see if it landed there.

May Agenda Items
  • Mike Weddle/Oregon Watersheds want to present their projects to us
  • Set Date for interest in expanding/reinvigorating umbrella organization
  • Finalize annual meeting date so there us a date to share and
  • Interest meeting action plan and potential meeting locations.
  • Discussion of recruiting volunteers at the Down by the Riverside event. (Marcia will do some basic research and outreach ideas prior to the meeting and report)
  • Setting some dates for projects on the Fairview Trail project and delegate volunteer recruitment.
  • The meeting adjourned at 8:02 PM

  • Back to top