Who We Are

What We Do

What You Can Do

Other Resources & Links

PRINGLE CREEK WATERSHED COUNCIL

Pringle Creek
Watershed Council

MEETING NOTICE

Tuesday, August 13, 2002
6:30 PM
Leslie Middle School
3850 Pringle Rd SE

(Watch for signs posted on the door for room number)


AGENDA
/ MINUTES

1. Welcome, Introductions & Agenda Review

2. Approval of Last Month's Minutes

3. Comments from the Public

4. Pringle Creek Large Woody Debris Project - Oregon Watersheds

5. Work Group Break-out

6. Bush Park Supplemental Environmental Project - Bob Roth & Ann Taylor

7. Watershed Assessment Status Update - Cameron LaFollette

8. Watershed Coordinator Reports - Bob Roth

9. Board Elections - Elaine Crawley

10. Old and New Business

11. Watershed Concerns

This is an open meeting. The public which lives, works, and recreates in the watershed is encouraged to attend.

About Pringle Creek

Council Core Values: 

  • Stewardship of the Pringle Creek watershed as a natural entity in an urban environment; 
  • Sustaining Pringle and Clark Creeks as naturally occurring watercourses;
  • Preserving Pringle and Clark Creeks’ riparian corridors to support native plants and wildlife;
  • Improving water quality; and
  • Promoting public awareness and education on watershed issues. 

The Pringle Creek Watershed Council is a nonprofit association representing watershed residents, businesses, schools, neighborhood associations, government, the scientific community and environmental organizations.

Pringle Creek Watershed Council

Meeting Minutes, August 13, 2002

In attendance: Victor Dodier, Susan Kephart, Robin Straughan, Glenn Dolphin, Anne Taylor, Elaine Crawley, Roger Heusser, Ray Heller, Larry Nassett, Karen White, Al White, Pat Smith, Bob Roth, Alan Pennington

The meeting was called to order by Victor Dodier.

Minutes for the July meeting were not available,

Comments from the Public:

Glenn Dolphin, of Marion Soil & Conservation, introduced Robin Straughan who will attend monthly meetings in his place. Glenn will still be active in the site work of PCWC.

Pat Smith, President of Oregon Watersheds, introduced Al White, also of Oregon Watersheds. Al shared his presentation on the “Large Wood Project – Pringle Creek at Fairview Training Center.” Al reported that the project is focused on the recovery of a winter steelhead population and the enhancement of resident cut-throat trout populations. He quoted Chip Andres (sp?) as an in-stream consultant who has walked the stream, " Fish have uninterrupted travel above Boise Cascade to the Fairview site. The lack of fish is due to poor habitat.”

Al shared that the Boise Cascade fish ladder is under redesign. Purpose of the wood debris placement is to enhance fish habitat by creating 2' to 3'-foot deep pools over time. Hand out: Large Wood Project – Pringle Creek at FTC”

Members of the Watershed Council raised concerns over several factors:

• Lack of Shade – Al reported that sites 1, 2, & 3 take advantage of existing shade trees.

• Use of manila cord rather than steel cable – Al shared that cable would require 2 further years of permitting process. He also said that vmanila cord may be legally replaced as it ages.

• Concern over “attractive nuisance/hazard” factor – As a fence is in place between Leslie Middle School and the sites, Al felt that this was a minimal risk, akin to bridges & forts built by kids in that area of FTC. Logs will be no higher than 4' high on stream banks, relatively the same height as a jungle gym. Al also shared that no deaths have occurred in any woody debris proje3cts in Oregon.

• Issues of liability – Al responded to concerns by pointing out that Oregon Watersheds will be “held harmless” in this project. The State of Oregon has the ultimate liability.

• Sedimentation – Al gave statistics indicating that this project will add 0.01% to sedimentation in Pringle Creek.

Al went on to elaborate on other collaborative projects for placement of large wood in streams by the EPA, FEMA, and the Corps of Engineers. The Division of State Lands and the City of Salem had to issue permits for the Pringle Creek Large Wood Project. He stated that three property owners also have given written permission.

The project remains out for appeal until August 20th. Appeals must be filed with the City Council. If the project is appealed, it will go before the City Council.

When questioned on how the project will measure progress, Al said that fiosh population increase will be based on comparison of baseline fish counts with monitoring studies that must occur 5 years after the project begins.

Victor Dodier addressed the council and asked members to consider that resources need to be preserved – including the council's membership. He shared the current status of Board vacancies, and asked for suggestion of likely candidates for the open seats. Sue Suikhonen has resigned, leaving the Morningside seat vacant. Liz Frances is reported to be “pulling back” from representation of her neighborhood association.

The question was raised as to whether Don
Alexander and Alan Pennington could sit as members rather than liaisons to the board. This requires further investigation into changing city policies on conflict of interest.

Alan Pennington suggested that Terry Carsonsen, a teacher at Leslie, be contacted. He also suggested Adam Mettat (sp?) as an excellent possibility; although Adam is an extremely busy person.

Workgroups breakout: With so few members present, there was consensus that a lack of “critical mass” made workgroups ineffective for this meeting. Bob Roth did review the themes of the 4 groups:

• Restoration

• Fundraising

• Land Use & Stewardship

• Outreach and Education

Roger Heusser will not be able to host a fundraising garage sale in September. There is apossibili9ty of using the Pringle Creek Community Center. Bob Roth has shelving/display racks available for the event.

Larry Nasset shared suggestions on ensuring that non-profit fundraisers focus on meeting the needs of the community in a sustainable way.

Bob Roth shared an idea used by another watershed council. Dues were based on the food chain; $5.00 = cut-throat, and $100.00 in dues is considered a blue heron.

Alan Pennington reminded the group that the PCWC's needs are small, primarily postage costs.

Bush Park project: The Mitsubishi Silicon fish spill resulted in a DEQ fine of approximately $80,000. This money was set aside for local mitigation projects. A grant of $58,000 of this mitigation fund will be used at the lower Lefelle parking lot at Bush Park to establish a bioswale. The project is not a City of Salem Parks project. Instead, it is a Pringle Creek Watershed Council project of Parks' property.

DEQ wants construction grade plans submitted in October for both a paved and an un-paved scenario. If the Parks measure is passed by the voters, the paved scenario will be utilized. This has doubled the work of planning.

There is some possibility that SUMCO will serve as the fiscal agent, rather than have the funds sit in the PCWC coffers. PCWC's role needs to be that of outreach, education, monitoring, and volunteer coordination. Anything to improve the Water Quality in the Lower Lefelle parking lot vicinity will have a positive impact on the cutthroat population. Cutthroat trout gather in the confluence area of Clark and Pringle Creeks, because of the cold water flow emanating from the underground sections of Clark Creek.

Watershed Assessment Update: Bob Roth reported that Cameron Lafollette has completed Chapter 3 of the assessment. Wendy Kroger is contributing a great deal of time and energy to this.

Watershed Coordinator's Report: AmeriCorp Volunteer, Crystal Leah Burgoynne, a Willamette University Science Graduate will be beginning work on projects in cooperation with the watersheds.

Upcoming Conferences & Events:

• Thursday, August ?? - The Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board - Rules & Activities Committee will meet. Public testimony is invited to support the role and rules of Watershed Councils & Watershed Coordinators.

• October 25 & 26 – Willamette Valley Watersheds Network will convene in Albany. This conference will focus on outreach and education around sustainable behavior.

• November 21 & 22 – Oregon Watersheds will convene in Redmond. A PCWC representative is invited and welcomed to attend.

OWEB Self Assessment: The self-assessment is due June 30th of 2003. It is essential to begin now on the member and council self-evaluations so these elements can be incorporated into the workplan. Bob Roth needs a complete email list of people that ought to complete an evaluation.

Phase 2 – The PCWC will participate in an outside-facilitated meeting in October for one hour.

Phase 3 – Action planning for self improvement will begin in October and November. This process must be completed prior to the OWEB grant application in December.

If the PCWC is not included in the next OWEB Coordinator's grant, we will be at a “competitive disadvantage” with those watershed councils that have completed the process.

Membership: There is a great need for folks to be encouraged to attend PCWC meetings. Victor will send an email distribution list to Bob Roth.

Salem Hospital Project Report: Roger Heusser shared that the erosion control permit has been secured. Matting will be installed next week. The first planting date will be set for early October. The slope in this section is too steep for children/youth to safely negotiate, so youth volunteers will be directed to work along the top of the banks where footing is secure. Adults will be needed for planting along the steep banks.

The 26th of October is the advertised planting date. A Statesman-Journal article is likely to be published this weekend. Brochures will also be used to announce this event. Roger Heusser will email all members with the details regarding this first planting.

Board Elections: The required quorum was not present, so elections are deferred until the September meeting. Bob Roth suggested that PCWC consider delegating the duties and responsibilities of the PCWC President across two or more offices or individuals.

Notices to Meeting Attendees: A note from Wendy Kroger was shared with all present reporting that the SEP project needs to be in “high gear.” Bob Roth is on top of this work.

Alan Pennington will be sending an email regarding fish grants. He also reported on the 303D status of Pringle Creek. Temperatures are high, as are E. coli and dialdrin (an old organic phosphate) levels. Soon lead, copper, and zinc will be added to the 303D list.

The factor that matters most to fish is the increased temperatures. Increased temperatures are a result of storm drains. Until the storm drain situation is solved, fish will not be able to thrive.

DEQ sent out a draft (accessible on the web). The volunteer water monitoring program is no longer staffed due to fiscal problems. No one is available to do data collection, no matter what volu7nteers are able to collect. Currently, no one can even come and pick up their monitoring equipment.

Peter Gutowski (sp?) on the Citizens' Advisory Committee is willing to come to the September meeting with his “road show” on the need for a new tree ordinance. Addressing significant wetlands is also on the radar screen.

Alan concluded with an advisory from Jeanne Fromme. Cannery Park needs some TLC this fall. In late August or early September weeds need to be cut back from around plantings, particularly around Oregon grapes



Pringle Creek Watershed Council
c/o Marion Soil and Water Conservation District
EMAIL to Watershed Council


Copyright 1999 -- Pringle Creek Watershed Council-- All Rights Reserved.