Leslie Middle School
AGENDA / NOTES
This is an open meeting. The public which lives, works, and recreates in the watershed is encouraged to attend.
Council Core Values:
Watershed Council Notes:
March 13, 2007
Victor Dodier opened the meeting. Those present included Steve Soltesz, Wally Reed, Ed Emrick, Luca De Stefanis, Joan Grindeland, Marcia Kelley, Susan Kephart.
First item on the agenda was a discussion of the planned March 24 planting at the Fairview Wetlands. Watershed volunteers will be needed because it is the beginning of Spring break for both Willamette and the Salem/Keizer Public Schools. Ed intends to order 1000 trees and shrubs for the project. He will check with Ryan and Dan Hoynacki to see if students could be involved at the site earlier in the week to help with site preparation. Irrigation will be installed until the plants are well established. Ed will have the area flagged so planting will go faster.
We discussed signage for the area. It was the consensus to use two different colors on signs.
We briefly discussed the blackberries on the site. Ed is considering seeing if Willamette Ponderosa Pine and Douglas Firs would create an environment that would discourage the blackberries. Susan will also check on other blackberry abatement methods.
The website rebuild is going slowly. The program that the webmaster uses is no longer being updated for the Mac.
Earthwatch will be in the area on the 29 of April. There will be two teams.
Wally Reed made a report on the status of the Local Government Grant of the State Parks that is being pursued to daylight part of Clark Creek in Bush's Pasture Park. Grant Wally and Kathy Reed are doing writing and the city staff and the Pringle Creek Watershed volunteer are participating by editing. There was discussion on the low impact recreation that can be done in the area. Victor will send a letter of support for the project to the City of Salem. There was discussion about what the grant is intended to accomplish.
John Savage and Susan are looking for other grant opportunities.
There was a question about the relatively low spending on the OWEB grant. Victor noted that it was received late and by the time all issues were resolved staffing had left the Soil and Water Conservation District. Luca will be asked to locate and evaluate the projects that have occurred for the Watershed and do an evaluation of what maintenance needs we have on current projects. That activity should use up a majority of the grant for this period.
Next meeting will be Tuesday, April 10.Marcia Kelley
Substituting for John Savage